Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A trip to the Beach and an Awesome Ride can really do alot to change attitudes

So after hurting myself and being off the bike for a few days I was really bumming and was just glad for it to be the weekend. My weekend started off pretty well, even if our school lost the big game. Saturday was spent over in Pensy with some really awesome friends of mine that I met at the beach. I think it's neat when you meet people and then actually become friends. I must say that I am definitely glad I met these three, even if they did interrupt some hardcore beach volleyball. We all had a really great time and I was lucky enough to be able to stay overnight sparing me the long drive home back to Joisey... at least for a little while.

Sunday morning I drove the 45 minutes or so back to my house. Once there I called up my Mom who was down in Ocean City for the day, she said it was beautiful down there. So I decided to go for it another two hours of driving today couldn't hurt. Wow was it ever worth it. The beach was gorgeous, the ocean was a perfectly refreshing temperature, it was amazing. I took a dip in the ocean, not really much swimming for me with my shoulder. It was glorious. Then I went up onto the beach and passed out on my towel for a while. When I awoke a cold front had moved through and brought in the clouds and a 15 degree drop in temperature. Oh well I'm good with that, my weekend was still just getting better as was my mood and my shoulder.

Monday passed by relatively uneventfully. Then it was back to school, not so fun. Oh well you have to do what you have to do. The weather finally changed for real today, a cold front moved through and brought with it some clouds, some rain, and some cooler temperatures. I must say that I unlike many of my classmates was glad to see this change. I'm sick of hot, dusty cross races. So after school I get to go out riding on my road bike. I get out a little late so I know I am going to be racing the dark home but I am alright with that. The sky is threatening rain and the wind is definitely present, but I persist. As soon as I roll out of my driveway I feel it, the instant feeling of wow this is going to be awesome. Not even some hard intervals could mess this up, they might even add to the fun. I head out with a bit of a tail wind and I'm just rolling, I feel smooth, confident, and fast. I ride out down about 45 minutes to Woodstown, I turn and head back towards the general direction of home. The sky starts to spit at me a little bit, I press on and start my intervals, 5 intervals of 2 min in PowerZones 4-5, or about 350 watts. I'm flying even still, even with the wind whipping in my face. My shoulder does not even bother me at all, even when torquing hard on the handlebars. I make it home just before dark, a little tired but generally feeling incredible. I run inside quickly pull on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and head over the the Clearview Varsity Field Hockey game under the lights. I definitely do not understand the game but it is still nice to hang out with friends and support my fellow classmates. We won 4-0, awesome. What a change the last few days have been, I'll definitely take it. Hopefully the good feelings continues for Gloucester this weekend.

Peace,
Patrick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.