Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Waking up after a long-winters nap

It's been exactly three months since my last post. Honestly it hasn't been all the exciting. However I guess I'll give a recap.

January:

I started my training again, only with a bit of a twist this year. I would be spending far more time in the gym. For the next 8 weeks I spent every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday after work in the gym. I began to see some results which was pretty cool. However during this time period I was not riding nearly as much. I did however start to mountain bike again, with intentions of racing this year. I borrowed a mountain bike from Jr., it is his old converted rigid-single speed.

February:

More gym time. Riding still not exciting. School getting worse all the time. That pretty much sums up February.

March:

March featured the end of the gym and the beginning of far more riding. The first weeks were a little more difficult to transition from gym to bike, but I did get used to it. On the second weekend I took a visit to Rutgers. I sat in on a few classes and then went out on the town with my friend. All in all it was awesome. So I enrolled the next day for the Fall 2008 semester. Once that happened my schoolwork took another dive as I now really no longer care about grades and such. (aside from failing) The last two weeks have featured an solid increase in my riding. I have been feeling surprisingly good. For example last week at Greentree I slipped into a breakaway on the second lap, felt great the whole time, and on the last lap as I was sitting in 5th wheel for the sprint we lapped the field. I broke my 30 min peak power value and my 60 min peak power value. This past Sunday I went to Wissahickon park in Philadelphia for a 3 hour+ mountain bike ride. On the rigid single speed. Felt awesome was making a lot of climbs and just riding pretty fast overall. Though the rigid part of the bike definitely made my shoulders sore for the next few days.

Today: Well now that you are back up to speed we can move on. Tomorrow is my eighteenth birthday, hooray. I guess that is kind of cool but I'm not really too worried about it. More importantly my racing season starts this Sunday. I'm racing in the Cat 3 and the 1/2/3 race at the Pinecone RR. All in all I signed up for 101 miles of racing. I've been feeling good so far this year so hopefully I'll finish both. I guess we'll see.

Peace and Love,
Patrick

No comments: