Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Royal Weekend

The Big Dance went well overall. Granogue was a crazy day. I arrive at the venue to learn that my Mom was hit by an off-course rider at the start of the Men's C race. Once my Dad finished his race, he took her to the hospital where she would be diagnosed with a concussion, a broken hand, and would later be diagnosed with a broken rib. However, she made it back in time to watch me take off in my first UCI C1 competition. I was impressed, she is one tough woman.

Photo: Kevin Dillard
I had a good start and sitting two wheels behind Tim Johnson when we hit the dirt. Everything was going well until we hit the run/ride up for the first time. At the bottom a rider in front of me fell, I hit him and went down too. No big deal, I get up and start running up the steep. My front wheel was not moving, my wheel had come dislodged from the dropouts. I stopped to fix it and lost a solid 15-20 seconds and all of my momentum. The next 3 laps were awful for me. My head was out of it and I made a few more stupid mistakes. I would end up getting lapped with one to go.
Photo: Kevin Dillard
I was bummed with my performance. I know I can ride better. I would have my chance at redemption the following day at Wissahickon.

My first pre-ride lap I felt a thousand times more confident than I did the previous day. I was running my Challenge Grifo tubulars, and they felt great. My legs felt a little sore, but still strong. I proceeded to get a good warm-up and made my way to the start with plenty of time. The start was crazy. For those that have never raced Wissahickon, the start begins on a gravel road with lots of holes and bumps and goes straight into a 180 degree swooping turn. The rider in front of me slipped his tires at the start and caused me to have to unclip and slow down. Not what I wanted out of my start. I took off and took an aggressive inside line on the 180, I made up all the ground I lost at the start and more in one turn. My goal for the day was to find a group stronger than myself and settle in for as long as I could. I ended up riding most of the race in a group with Bill Elliston from Fuji bikes, Tyler Wren of Colavita, and Kyle Hammaker from Scott bikes. These guys were pushing the pace hard, but I felt good.


Photo: Rich Kassan

I rode strong all race and with two laps left I was feeling very good. I had found my way into a group with two other U23 riders and a chance at a top 25 finish. However, I made one stupid mistake. I took a turn too hot and slid out. My front wheel was then rubbing on the frame and causing me problems. I pitted and discovered my rear wheel on the pit bike to be too low. I pitted again and lost big chunks of time. I lost around 8 spots because of this mistake. However even with all the problems I did not get lapped and finished 33rd.


Photo: Rich Kassan

All in all I was very pleased with my result on Sunday. I cannot focus on that one mistake, but I will learn from it. In the big picture, I was riding much better. Wissahickon has provided me with a greater confidence in my abilities and my choice to race with the Elite Men. I also retained my lead in the MAC U23 standings as well as my 19th place overall for the series. Also my brand new Specialized S-works mountain shoes felt great, as did my new Verge skinsuits. However, satisfaction is the death of progression. I am not satisfied, I want to win.

This upcoming weekend will be my first trip up to New England for the year. The Rutgers University Cycle Team is taking the trip up to the Cycle-Smart International race weekend in Northamton, Massachusetts. This is also the first weekend for ECCC competition. I am optimistic about the weekend, I have been feeling good on the bike and off the bike. My last race was a good race and if not for one stupid mistake I would have done a lot better.

My goals for the weekend are to be relaxed and comfortable before the race, to work my way into a good group, and minimize the stupid mistakes.

Peace and Love,
Patrick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wassup catchmeifyoucan9.blogspot.com blogger discovered your blog via Google but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your website http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer most cost effective services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com