Saturday, July 12, 2008

Being a Beach Bum

The sun is shining and the surf is rising. Today is a great day at the beach, even though there is no such thing as a bad day at the beach. I'm currently taking a nice long break from riding and racing. It has been a long time since I've been off the bike this long, and honestly it is nice. I'm getting the opportunity to spend some quality time with sand between my toes, a board beneath my feet, and my butt off a saddle. Taking a break is a great thing.

However the more time I spend off the bike the more time I start thinking about it. When I was up home this week I spent a little bit of time assessing what my cross bikes need and how to put them together. My original plan was to buy a new 09' Specialized Tricross frameset and build it up with the parts from my 08' (Campy Centaur) and then take the parts of my Strong (Shimano Tiagra) and put those on my 08' Tricross frame. After stripping the bikes down I realized that all I would need to make the 08' bike campy was shifters and a rear derailleur. So I justified it by saying it means less crap to have in my tiny little dorm room.(Sort of true) The parts will be in next Wednesday and then hopefully built up before the weekend. The 09' frameset won't be in until August though.

All the thoughts about cross have me really excited for the upcoming season and even the training that I'm going to start in a few weeks. So that is what taking a break gets me...excited to ride again. (I've only been off the bike for one week out of three weeks off.) It's going to be hard to stay clear from the bike but hopefully I'll be doing some strength training and cross training to keep me busy.

Well as I said the surf is up and it's time for me to get my wetsuit on and paddle out. I love cross training.

Peace and Love,
Patrick

1 comment:

Don said...

sweet post. i'm jealous of the surfing, and of the bikes. surfing must be a hell of a workout, right?